Monday, April 5, 2010

Soap & Lotion Making

Today I tried the old fashioned goat milk soap using lye. I was afraid to use the lye but it wasn't so bad. I think it will turn out, I'll know tomorrow when I slice the bars. They will then need to cure for 3 weeks. I'll post pictures and the recipe tomorrow. I also made goat milk lotion today and it turned out beautiful. I've tried making a different lotion recipe before that never turned out but this time it did. Here's the recipe:
6 oz liquid oil (I used olive oil)
3 oz solid oil (I used coconut oil)
1 oz beeswax
9 oz water (I substitued goat milk)
essential oils (I used tea tree, vitamin E and grapefruit seed extract)
fragrance & color (I used rose)

Simple instructions are to melt the oils together, mix in partially frozen goat milk and then add the essential oils and fragrance. The trick is to use the slushy frozen milk so it doesn't get too hot when added to the oil. The lotion looked like yummy pudding, tempting to eat. While all ingredients are safe, I doubt it would taste good and don't recommend eating it! Here are some pictures!

1 comment: